Signup

The Thing We all Share is Heart


This post is less about tips or tricks for the classroom and more about the heart.  A few minutes ago, a text message came through to my cell from a former colleague. She sent me a photo of a young man standing at a podium in front of an audience giving his 8th-grade graduation speech.  And then came the feeling of happiness, awe, and honor. I was this young person's first teacher and we were together at the public Montessori for his primary years.  Undoubtedly, at least once a teacher training course, I tell the story of this child's first day of school and how I swore that was my "change of career" day.  

This young person arrived at my door like a tornado, went for a moveable alphabet box and dumped it all over the floor. Then he was off to the next item on the shelf.  I couldn't move fast enough to keep up with him! He was everywhere at the same time! Now, it really didn't take long for him to learn how to socialize and make friends and then find activities that he really liked.  He settled in and his personality began to shine.  He was kind, helpful, and had the biggest smile.  Just like the other children before him, he left me to head up to the elementary classrooms, but for years, I would see him flash that big smile and run up for a hello or a hug as I strolled through the cafeteria.

I don't know a single teacher that is in this profession for the fame or fortune. (It's funny right!) We all come for different reasons.  But the thing we all share is heart.  It is so easy to get invested in and deeply care for the children we share our days with.  If we are humble, they will teach us more than any professional development or training.  And when they leave, my hope is that they take a little of that care with them because a piece of them always seems to stay with me.  Every child I have had the blessing to teach has taught me something that shaped me as a person and as a teacher. For that I am grateful.  And for this little guy graduating 8th grade tonight, I'm glad I didn't give up that day. I'm glad I stuck around to be a part of his journey. And tonight I am happy, in awe of him and his work and I am honored that a colleague remembered that this little guy ended up being a special part of my story too.

                                                                

Comments